Thursday, January 12, 2017

My first complaint.

So, I've been at this restaurant for about 8 months now. It's a corporate place with not the greatest clientele, so we have a lot of people trying to get stuff for free. The french fries weren't hot enough, the steak was overcooked, I didn't like my Super Pomegranate Bahama Mama, and I wasn't offered a dessert.

Whatever, deal with it, get it comped, make my money (if they decide to leave 10% on their comped-ass bill), and go home.

Lately, I've been killing it with upsells, signups for our rewards program, stuff like that. But it all seems nil when I get a complaint about myself specifically.

I was done for the day, just cleaning my section and rolling silverware. I see someone's food is up so I go to run a cup of soup to 37. The conversation that followed:
Blondie: "Chicken noodle?"
Cranky Man: "Yep... well where's the rest of it?"
Our soup is a standard size. It might look a little skimpy because of the dish it's served in, but I've never had a complaint before.
B: (thinking he was playing the Original Comedian role) "Yes, sir, that's our portion size! Enjoy!"

I turned and walked away, intending to find his server to send her over because I wasn't dealing with that. In my search, I walked near his table again and he yelled, "HEY! Is there a MANAGER available?"
I go back in the kitchen, explained what had transpired, and my manager went out to speak to him. Apparently, he had said something else and I 'ignored him', so he was going to take his business elsewhere. I told my manager if he did, I honest to God did not hear him and I would go out and apologize right now if he hadn't have left.

Now, in hindsight, I probably should have said, "I'm going to find your server and see if she can get you something else." But I really thought he was just being a smart-ass and the conversation was over. I mean, how petty can you get?

2 comments:

  1. so glad to see your post after not writing for a while! I get this all the time at the diner but my owner actually doesn't kiss the customers ass when she knows they're wrong or trying to get free stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, we have pretty good managers when it comes to that, but... corporate! what can you do?

      Delete