Friday, September 9, 2016

My First Trainee!

I went to a coaching workshop last week set up by corporate for team members to learn how to effectively train new hosts/servers/bartenders in the "brand style." I got to meet people from other stores in the state, and spend 8 hours roleplaying and practicing the "compliment sandwich" - a compliment, constructive criticism, another compliment. It was actually pretty fun, but the hour and a half drive either way and sitting in a conference room all day left me absolutely beat.
So I have a few "homework assignments" before I'm an official trainer, such as teaching my GM how to do basic stuff to show I can be an effective coach, but they threw a trainee at me anyway and I feel really good about it. It was nice to be able to go through everything, tell her the things I felt I didn't learn in my training, just set her up for success! She told me yesterday she had to work with someone else on a day I was off, but she was so glad to be back with me because that's where she started and she felt most comfortable. Her validation is on Monday, wish us luck!

Later tonight or tomorrow, I'll write a post about how my GM cursed out a lady yesterday and it was the greatest day of my life.

1 comment:

  1. thats so awesome that your restaurant had a program for how to train! at my summer place, the training was horrific. I had to train someone three weeks after starting there. I also had to train a pre-close when I had never been trained on it myself. Then when we got audited, we all failed because no one was trained correctly but we were blamed for the incorrect service.

    ReplyDelete