Saturday, July 2, 2016

Well, that was new.

Okay, so I've never worked in a place that sells alcohol before. I've also never worked corporate before. You might be able to see where this is going.. I had to cut someone off today.

A man and his girlfriend came in today for lunch, ordered cocktails. The man finished his before I had their order, maybe 10 minutes, and ordered another. I probably shouldn't have even given him the second so quickly, but I didn't even think twice and they were sitting and eating. They finished their appetizer, their meals, and he ordered a different cocktail. When I was going to put it in the computer, I realized it hadn't even been 45 minutes since his first.

I know when I was hired, it was dug into my head to always check ID and be careful when serving liquor. So I asked my manager to double check, I wasn't sure what the time frame was when serving cocktails. She said no, don't give him another.
So I went to tell the guy that according to policy, I couldn't give him another right now, but if they wanted to sit a little, maybe order something else, they were welcome to hang out and enjoy the company and another cocktail in a bit.
"Are you serious?"
"Well, what if I cash out with you and go sit at the bar?"

I told him that probably wouldn't work, my manager was right there and she keeps track of the cameras so she would know he came from a table (kind of trying to hide the fact I had said something, also just kind of nervous and unsure what to say). Well, he didn't like that. He wanted the manager at his table, come to find out he wanted her to SHOW him the policy that he couldn't have another drink.
So she's in the office, trying to find the appropriate paperwork to print out, and he's at the kitchen door every time I come and go, saying how he wants to see the policy, he wants his receipt, and more "are you SERIOUS?!"

I was actually kind of nervous at this point. This is a big guy, pissed off, hovering around in my station so I'm actually embarrassed going to my other tables. Finally, I gave him his change and receipt ($10 change from a $100 bill, the book empty when he left), and the manager showed him the paperwork, although he still said he was going to book a BIG complaint.

Luckily, my manager, as I was cashing out, told me she had my back and I had done everything right with that table, from double checking the drink timing to cutting him off.

1 comment:

  1. good job for sticking your ground! customers need to realize that we aren't going out of our way to make sure they have a miserable experience and don't get what they want! Sometimes having no tip is better than them sitting in your section stressing you out for an extra half hour.

    ReplyDelete